Not really a 'feature request', but a question?

Any feature requests, please post here.
twhiting9275

Not really a 'feature request', but a question?

Post by twhiting9275 »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I will put it in here.
Does v3 (phpbbmf) support phpbb2, or no?
looking at the config
# standard phpBB version
# enter 2 if you are using phpBB 2.0.x
# enter 3 if you are using phpBB 3.0.x
# if you enter another number, MF will not work.
It suggests that it might, but suggesting it might doesn't exactly work for me, so, obviously I need to ask. Does phpbbmf 3 support phpbb2 fully?
Linux Tech Networks, Quality, affordable Linux Systems Administration
TJWI- Support for Free Hosting Software
PN Matt

Post by PN Matt »

It does.
echophp

Post by echophp »

Yes, it support phpBB2 since RC1.
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

echophp wrote:Yes, it support phpBB2 since RC1.
So, finally, I got around to updating this, and I've got to say the documentation is absolutely PATHETIC for this, and wrong, in so many ways. Oh, and it's NOT COMPATABLE WITH PHPBB2! Lies, all LIES

Come on, people, you're paid to do a job, please, at least TRY to do this job properly!

You'd think that people would act responsibly when handling other people's data. Echo, you've just shown yet again, more irresponsibility in this matter.

Thankfully I've got backups of everything, but my god, I shouldn't have to USE them. When I asked "is this compatable", I expected an honest answer, not a "find out how wrong we really are" answer.

Problem #1: Languages don't work right. Easily solved by manually updating them. Go figure, more work by me because echo doesn't want to code properly.

Problem #2, and the show stopper: NO phpbb2 forum works now, every single one of them is KILLED by fatal errors:
Class 'sql_db' not found
I'm sick and tired of getting misinformation here, and dealing with slow, sloppy code. If I ask a question, I expect a truthful answer, not a lie.

This code does NOT support phpbb2, whatsoever.
River

Post by River »

well glitches happen and echophp usually fix them fast. This is the best phpbb multiforum script in my opinion, much better than the competitors.
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

well glitches happen and echophp usually fix them fast.
This isn't a "glitch", this is a nightmare.
I asked a specific question

I was lied to about the compatability. If "echophp" didn't know the answer, then they have no business coding whatsoever.

No response has been given whatsoever to this problem

Of course, this isn't the first time this has happened with this software and this company, putting my own business on hold for days. This is WHY I asked the question BEFORE I upgraded. What should have been a seemless upgrade was a 2 hour nightmare, given the complete joke that is "documentation", and the lies told by echophp here.
echophp

Post by echophp »

I don't lie, it works for both of phpBB2 and phpBB3.
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

echophp wrote:I don't lie, it works for both of phpBB2 and phpBB3.
OBVIOUSLY you know nothing about your own product then, because I just PROVED that it doesn't.

Yeah, it "works with phpbb2". It works so well, it shuts the forums off!
Obviously you know nothing about your own product if you continue to insist that it 'works' with phpbb2 AND phpbb3, despite shutting forums off.
PN Matt

Post by PN Matt »

To back up echophp here...

phpBB2 works fine with V3? I had it running before i stuck phpBB3 on?
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

PN Matt wrote:To back up echophp here...

phpBB2 works fine with V3? I had it running before i stuck phpBB3 on?
Obviously it doesn't. If it DID, why would I be getting the errors there, which go away the second that the "upgrade" is removed? Please, do tell.
This has nothing to do with "custom mods", it has everything to do with software not working, and the absolutely pathetic support provided here.

Again, IF this worked, why would I STILL be here saying the exact same thing, better yet, WHY would I say it doesn't? There's no reason at all, except that it DOESN'T work! Insstructions are pathetic at best, and it does not work!
PN Matt

Post by PN Matt »

Okay, so i didn't have it up and working. Right. My imagination.
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

At SOME point (way early on) it MAY have been compatible. However SOME POINT is not now.

The reason people ask these things isn't to get misinformation, it's to get accurate, up to date information, so they DON'T have to waste time (and money) trying something that just flat out does not work. I've dumped enough time (ie: money) into this simple task to have already purchased an "owned" license here, which I'm trying to AVOID, hence the reason I ASKED, and was given incorrect information.

Obviously, as of yesterday (or the last release), it is NOT compatable with phpbb2
PN Matt

Post by PN Matt »

Right okay, yes. Magically a little pixy made it not work any more! The fact that it is working for everyone else means its a problem with YOUR system and not the script.

You were not given incorrect information since it does work. I am sorry but you are being an idiot, and you really need to think about what you are saying. Being aggressive towards echophp and even people telling you its not the script is going to get you nowhere..
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

"The fact that it is working for everyone else means its a problem with YOUR system and not the script. "

Wrong. it is not "my system", it is THE SCRIPT. I'm no first year newb at this, I run multiple successful forums, multiple successful scripts, multiple successful environments, so when it comes to programming and debugging garbage, I CAN DO IT.

Does the script work as explained and documented? No
echophp has done NOTHING but cause problems here, seriously. I can't test this in a "beta" environment, because, their license is too strict. I can't use this in a "working" environment, because lo and behold IT DOES NOT WORK.

Have they fixed the bug? Nope
Have they written proper documentation? HELL NO
Have they put out TIMELY RELEASES? Absolutely not.
I'm not the ONLY person having problems with their "script" here. Look around , you'll see problems with their upgrades, multiple individuals in multiple environments have had issues, but yeah, MY system is the problem.

it's typical of a fanboi , or a programmer to say "It's your system", rather than actually sit back and LOOK at things from a neutral perspective. The programmer is obviously going to say "it's your system", because they don't want to do their jobs. The fanboi is going to say "it's your system because THEY don't want to hear anything bad about their beloved product".

The faact is that if it WAS my system, I wouldn't be here posting, I'd be FIXING the problem (like the language 'feature' which is undocumented, I test and fix problems WHEN THEY CAN BE), however, it is NOT my system, it is the echophp script causing this. All that I need to know THAT is that as soon as the files were restored it worked, yet again.

This is not a "system" problem, this is a script problem, but getting support from echophp is like pulling teeth. Wait days, maybe they'll answer and fix the issue, WITHOUT screwing the system up, but most likely they'll screw it up anyways. In the meantime, the system is still down because echo can't be bothered to respond in a proper and timely fashion.
PN Matt

Post by PN Matt »

Its your system.