multi server options

Any feature requests, please post here.
River

Post by River »

echophp wrote:I also thought of this option but i won't add this option in next early releases. The v2 has to work fine with multi domains and must be stable first. Then i will work with multi servers option.

Thanks for your suggestions
I wonder how multi server options would work if it gets implemented?

as someone pointed out with wildcard DND doesnt it have to be on the same server then? or do you mean register domain mymfdomain2, mymfdomain3 and so on for this to work?

hmmm :)
echophp

Post by echophp »

I'm sorry, this still isn't implemented yet.

For URL, which option would you like?
1. domain1.com on server1, domain2.com on server2 => xxx.domain1.com on server1, xxx.domain2.com on server2.
2. domain1.com on server1, domain2.com parked to domain1.com on server1. s2.domain1.com on server2, s2.domain2.com parked to s1.domain1.com on server2 => xxx.domain1 and xxx.domain2.com on server1, xxx.s2.domain1.com and xxx.s2.domain2.com on server2.
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

with wildcard DND doesnt it have to be on the same server then
Correct

Alternatively, as you suggested, you can run multiple installs of echophp, which will cost a good deal more money.

Those multiple installs may reside on separate servers, but any domains tied to them must reside on the domain's server.

I'll give you an example:
I run 2 phpbbmf servers myself, on two separate domains. I do this because I'm running both phpbb2 AND phpbb3

Domains (and subdomains) tied to install 1 (phpbb4free.org) can reside on one server, but ALL domains tied to install 1 must remain on the same server as phpbb4free.org

Domains (and subdomains) tied to install 2(geekgas.com) can reside on one server, but ALL domains tied to install 2 must remain on the same server as geekgas.com

This isn't software related, it's DNS related. You need to have all wildcard entries pointing to the same ip address, otherwise, where is anything going to go? Seriously, you're confusing the situation by trying to put 'wildcard' on two separate servers like this.

Now, mysql, you'd better believe it can be put onto another server (it's about time we get that done, echo!). It should be easily rotated, that's not that hard to do. Wildcard DNS structures? Not going to happen.
Linux Tech Networks, Quality, affordable Linux Systems Administration
TJWI- Support for Free Hosting Software
River

Re: multi server options

Post by River »

Well, I know proboards.com has now changed it.

In the past, for example if you had a forum running on proboards server 22 you'd get the forum name "forumname.proboards22.com".

Now, since a few months back all their forums are "forumname.proboards.com" not depending what server they are on. They made an announcement about it..

So, if it is possible I would like to bump this feature request..
twhiting9275

Post by twhiting9275 »

River wrote: In the past, for example if you had a forum running on proboards server 22 you'd get the forum name "forumname.proboards22.com".

Now, since a few months back all their forums are "forumname.proboards.com" not depending what server they are on. They made an announcement about it..
There's a number of ways to do things, including not using wildcard dns (which echo does). IF you're using wildcard dns, then you can NOT have forums running across multiple servers and ip addresses, it's just not possible If you are NOT (ie: you're setting up the subdomain as the forum is created), it's possible to do this, but this gets into a WHOLE different layer of vulnerabilities, as the web script has to assume admin user rights to change DNS and that can cause a whole different set of issues.

Keep in mind, as well, that proboards is a custom script, it's not phpBB, though it may look like it.
Linux Tech Networks, Quality, affordable Linux Systems Administration
TJWI- Support for Free Hosting Software
WraiTh

Post by WraiTh »

on new version it will be good to handle multiple servers for mysql host :).
to have like an client and server sections..
bardrick25

Post by bardrick25 »

The current version of this script is stable. The license is good for life. However, after a year, to get upgrades and support, you must renew your yearly license.
Last edited by bardrick25 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sshayndell12

Post by sshayndell12 »

I really like this script. I have tried others and I can say echohph is extremly superior to them, but external mysql db access, or some simular solution I think is required some day.
benton672

Post by benton672 »

The current version of this script is stable. The license is good for life. However, after a year, to get upgrades and support, you must renew your yearly license.